08 September 2009

What it means to feel proud...

Among my many beliefs, I have always firmly believed that no war is justified. This led me to believe that there should never be a need for armies and soldiers. I haven't been an advocate of 'sacrifice' either and have always maintained that selfishness is everyone's right and is the way to exist as long as it doesn't become a self-centered existence.

Both these beliefs got a new meaning during a visit to my cousin, and I discovered what it means to truly feel proud...


Kavita (Gunnu as we call her) chose to chase her dream of flying when she joined the Indian Air Force. After two months at the Air Force Academy, we went to visit her for the first time and were instantly humbled by the discipline and energy at the academy.

We met Flt Cadet Kavita and two of the other lady cadets and spent the entire day talking about their experiences at the academy, the toughening that they are presently going through, the learning and challenges, the dreams and aspirations, the hopes and worries. It was a long day that seemed to pass in a hurry and it was time to leave.

It may not seem like much, but I couldn't get rid of the images from the visit right through the return journey. I couldn't help thinking that if civilians like me practiced 10% of that discipline, it would be a changed world.

She is training to be a soldier...no she is and feels like a soldier already. But she has not sacrificed her civilian life. She has gone after her dreams and has set about realizing them. It is a selfish pursuit that left her father in tears of pride while leaving the academy. So is her selfish pursuit not a virtue? I am convinced it is. And my belief that being selfish is the way to be just got a new meaning.

I also do not believe Flt Cadet Kavita Prabhu aspires to fight wars, nor do I believe she wants to kill or become an instrument of killing. I do not think she is a part of the Indian Air Force out of a desire for war. And yet, it is evident in her eyes that is she prepared to fight, for her chosen profession and her ambition. Through her single minded determination and resilience, she is fighting her past of laziness and reliance on others. She is fighting social norms and she is fighting every hurdle that comes in her way. This is her war and to me...a justified war.

Walking away, on my way back home, I was humbled, discovering what it means to feel proud...not just of Flt Cadet Kavita Prabhu, but of just being.

5 comments:

  1. Dadaaa!! tears in my eyes :) Its beautiful...Sachchi..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely written.. Update karte raho

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how it must feel as i have been through the same experience n even today i get goose bumps as my experience was seeing my hubby get trained there n EARN his wings! Makes one proud to no end and the feeling is indescribable. Keep writing...would love to get more updates! Vande Maataram!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dadaa...i was just frozen in the moment and your thoughts. So well written! i totally agree with your 10% civilian funda, it will work wonders.As i was reading through the post i just thought of something i wrote to gunnu, "Heights of great men reached and kwpt were not attained in a single flight, but they while their companions slept were striding upwards in the night."

    Gunna as far (or as least) as i may know is quite an emotionally strong brat. When we bid farewell to her the thought of the way she told her dad, "Rona math baba, tu ek fauji ka baap hain",almost keeps my mind pondering everyday.

    I am soo proud that the special one amongst her is all geared up to fly high on a rainbow so high.I sometimes look at one of the lines she wrote in the letter to me - "We lead men to war!"....Indeed Gunnu!

    - Shreyas

    ReplyDelete
  5. great thought.!
    i know kavita...she's just wat u wrote..!
    proud of her..i m sure she gonna do just great.!

    Asst. Comdt. Yuvraj Singh Tewatia

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think...just drop me a line.